The Salem Historical Society has a successful track-record in the Southwest Virginia region for historic preservation. There are many landmarks under the care of the society that thrive thanks to them. The Williams- Brown House, dating back to 1845, was donated to the Historical Society in 1986 under the condition that the house be relocated. Today, the Williams-Brown House is the home of the Salem Museum.
When beloved landmark Andrew Lewis High School was under consideration for either renovation or demolition, the Historical Society was able to encourage the City and School Board to maintain the facade of the building. The school still stands with it's historic integrity intact. With the assistance of the Salem Historical Society, antebellum Monterey House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in the mid-1990's and continued to consult new tenants on the preservation of the property.
Cover photo of the Valley Railroad Arch via Wikicommons.