Visit the museums of the Virginia Military Institute, the oldest state-supported military college in the United States: The VMI Museum, Virginia Museum of the Civil War, Stonewall Jackson House, Marshall Museum and Library, Adams Center for Military History, and VMI Archives.
The Barracks at VMI are home to cadets for all four years of their schooling. The buildings making up the cadet living quarters are: Old Barracks, New Barracks, and Third Barracks. Originally constructed in 1851, the Old Barracks had to be rebuilt in 1866 because of the damage done by Hunter’s Raids during the Civil War. Designed by architect Alexander Davis, the Gothic revival style has been continued in newer construction on post. In 1923 Old Barracks was expanded and an enclosed courtyard became part of the layout, a design feature that has continued as the Barracks expand.
New Barracks was constructed in 1949 and is dedicated to General George C. Marshall, class of 1901. A statue of General Marshall was erected in 1978 outside of New Barracks Arch, also called Marshall Arch. Third Barracks was completed in 2008 and allowed the VMI cadet population to grow to its current size.